GEARSHIFT "LOCKED" IN PARK

1994 Pontiac Bonneville • 103,000 miles

I can't take my car out of park because the button on the gearshift lever won't go in. This is the first time it happened, I parked the car and about 30 minutes later, I can't shift. With or without the car running, with or without the brake pedal depressed.

Mbistro

Check to see if the brake lights are working. The park lock solenoid gets power to release from the brake light switch.

About 2 hours after leaving the car alone, I went back to check the brake lights and they were working, I started the car and I was able to change gears. The problem "went away". Should this happen again, I'll check the brake lights right away. Thanks for the reply.

Mbistro
Also when it wont shift out of park if the brake lights work see if you can hear a clicking noise from the shift lock solenoid at the shifter while stepping on the brake.