BRAKES GET MUSHY THEN WORK CORRECTLY AGAIN.

1994 Plymouth Voyager • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 160,000 miles

Yesterday when taking my exit off the freeway for home I was waiting at a light when I suddenly I could smell the odor of plastic or rubber getting hot. Then on drivers side there appeared some light smoke coming out from under front of hood. Temp gauge was running normal. No other idiot lights or warning tones/bells, etc.
Next I thought just get off the overpass pull into the first parking lot, and shut 'er down, grab the fire extinguisher and pop the hood.
I parked it and determined there was no fire, no fluids were pooling on the ground underneath either, but there was still the strong odor of hot wiring or something. Looking all through under the hood I could not see where this hot spot was.
I sat for a good 25 minutes, checked my brake fluid, coolant, oil and all were ok. I then decided to continue home. Started ok, but before driving I pressed the brake pedal and it felt very mushy. Not all the way down but definitely not drivable. While driving from off ramp to this lot the brakes worked fine. I pumped on the brake pedal again and noticed a sucking sound coming from the firewall. At the same time this pumping the brakes seemed to build the pressure back up. The sucking noise diminished until gone when brakes were pumped back up to where it felt "safe" to drive. (If this would have happened miles away from home I don't think risked driving at all)
I tested the brakes a couple times in the lot and just slowly drove on home. There I drove around my block a couple times accelerating and braking and everything seemed normal again. The brakes worked as before, just fine. I test drove it later that night by taking it to the store and all seemed normal. They are working normally now. No mush at all.

From what I could find out online my uneducated guess is that a link-fuse or relay somewhere in the ABS blew. Now there is air in the brake lines (? But I did not see any ABS light at anytime during all of this.) This is strictly a guess and I know I'm way off probably. But can anyone describe what most likely happened?
What is the fix and how much can I expect to pay for it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for this service you guys provide.

1994 Plymouth voyager 3.3 w/approx 160,000 mi. Most recent repairs were new thermostat within 1 month ago and solenoid replacement 2 months ago. The front brakes got new pads and rotors about 11 months ago.

From what I could find out online my uneducated guess is that a link-fuse or relay somewhere in the ABS blew. Now there is air in the brake lines (?) But I did not see any ABS light at anytime during this entire episode. This is strictly a guess and I know I'm way off probably. But can anyone describe what most likely happened?
What is the fix and how much can I expect to pay for it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for this service you guys provide and I will Paypal a contribution to this site for your help.

Tired of Manny, Moe and Jack!
Dave
Affirmed53