HOW TO REMOVE INTERNAL COIL IN A LANCE

1994 Mitsubishi Lancer

Hello
Im trying to remove the internal coil in my lancer, I have go the distributor cap off, I have been able to get all the thing out in the distributor but I have go to the part that sits in front of the coil, I think it is the thing thats changes the timing.
Thank you
Bcool14

You need to punch the pin out of end of shaft to be able to get the coil out. The pin is rather tight and you would need to be careful to avoid damage to the shaft and slotted gear. Remember to mark the position of the gear and reinstall correctly. Reversed installation would result in firing order being changed.

You need to remove all the holding bolts, 2 are inside, under the plate. After installation, ensure the pickup coil and rotor clearance is corrrect. You don't want to have them crashing. Manually turn the shaft to confirm.
Replace the oil seal while you are there.

Is the pin located inside the shaft? And when you say punch the pin out what do you mean by that? Thank you verry much

Bcool14
At end of shaft ouside the housing there is a slotted gear that can move slightly. It is held by a pin. You need to drive that pin out.

I have looked and there are 5 slottes on the shaft and there is no pin or any thing that moves

Bcool14
Can you show a picture of the distributor? Do you mean the driven gear has a few gears instead of a washer type end with 2 prongs?

Here are some photos

Bcool14
Wrong side. The shaft at the other end where it plugs into engine. That driven gear has to be removed. After that you push the shaft out completely from the housing. You need to remove 2 screws from bottom. They hold the ignition coil.

So do I have to unbolt the whole distributor of the side of the engin? And to do this do I have to remove the 2 bolts the you adjust the timing with?

Bcool14
Definitely. I thought you had the distributor out.

Ohh ok sorry I thought the coil could be taken out without taking the distributor out. So if I undo the two bolts that holds the distributor on should it be fairly easy to take out? Thank you

Bcool14
Page 1 of 2