STARTING/IGNITION PROBLEMS

1994 Mercury Sable • 140,000 miles

A month ago I started having problems getting my car started. Being new to cars in general, I didn't know where to start so I researched and I've learned quite a bit during the process. I turn the key and it cranks, and the whole car shakes like it wants to start but can't quite get there. It doesn't even fire. The battery is good; all the lights and everything comes on. I started looking for the fuel relay but it's nowhere to be found or in any of the spots that numerous people (and websites) have said it would be. I changed the spark plugs and the battery, still no change. So I checked the inertia switch and it wasn't triggered, so I manually triggered it and after a few times of doing this it got the car to start. It ran good for a day, then back to it not being able to start. A week later, for the fun of it I tried again, and it started. Don't know what I did, but it did something right. I checked all the fuses and spark plug cords, and even went to get my engine light code, but the guy at the auto shop said there was no codes to be found. He assumed that some how I erased the codes when I was messing with it. It ran good for a week and a half, and now I'm back again with a car that won't start. It has oil and gas. When I turn the key (without cranking it), the check engine, oil, and battery lights come on. When I'm trying to start it, only the battery light is lit up. Not sure what to do, I have no money in my account till next pay day and I'm having to ride my bike 8 miles to work (in cold South Dakota). Any tips or insight would be deeply appreciated! Thanks.
Milotheblue

So you have to keep resetting the interia switch to get it to start? If so sounds like you have a bad interia switch. Its not a circuit breaker so sounds like its bad.

I tried the inertia switch again several times and it looks like only that one time did the trick. I'm not sure what made it start after that. I did add a fuel additive to the gas, but I don't know if that would really make a difference in whether or not the car would turn on if there's a real problem.

Milotheblue
So we know we have spark?Also have you checked to see what the actual fuel pressure is?