MAZDA B4000 TROUBLE CODE PROBLEM

1994 Mazda b4000

What could be wrong if I have an automatic and it isn't switching gears it tacks out in second and reverse goes in and out
Danielpelt

You need to check for trouble codes.
The transmission is either locked in 2nd because of an internal fault or the controls are not responding due to an error detected.

Reverse also goes in and out how can I check for trouble codes?
And also how can I check to see what controls are not responding

Danielpelt
CHECK ENGINE Light/Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL)

Turn ignition on. Connect a jumper wire between Self-Test Input (STI) pigtail and signal return (SIG RTN) terminal of Data Link Connector (DLC). See Fig. 2.

MIL would flash the trouble codes.

What would I have to do to get my truck working again

Danielpelt
It runs fine just when ever I star going it want change to 3rd and reverse goes in and out how can I fix that?Could it be the strainer

Danielpelt
You need to find the cause of the problem and rectify it. Worse case scenario is a transmission replacement. Cheapest would be a loose or contaminated wireharness connector.

So what are some causes from this problem how can I fix it

Danielpelt
Check for trouble codes first. Since reverse is slipping intermittently, it does not bode well. Possible cause is leaking pressure lines/clutches which requires a rebuild or transmission replacement.