1994 Honda Prelude • 4 cylinder Automatic • 156,600 miles
Hey I was wondering how to change a timing belt and water pump on a DOHC? Thanks
January 21, 2011.
January 21, 2011.
Disconnect battery negative cable. Drain cooling system. Remove timing and balance shaft belts. See TIMING & BALANCE SHAFT BELTS. Remove water pump bolts, water pump, and "O" ring.
Clean gasket surfaces. Install NEW "O" ring and water pump. To complete installation, reverse removal procedure. Tighten bolts to specifications. Fill and bleed cooling system.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
CAUTION:This application is an interference engine. Do not rotate camshaft or crankshaft when timing belt is removed, or engine damage may occur.
TIMING & BALANCE SHAFT BELTS
1. Disconnect negative battery cable. Position crankshaft with cylinder No. 1 at TDC of compression stroke.
See Fig. 3 . Disconnect battery negative cable. Remove splash shield. Remove cruise control actuator, leaving cable connected. Remove power steering pump, leaving hoses connected.
2. Disconnect alternator wiring. Remove wiring harness from valve cover. Remove alternator and A/C belts (if equipped). Remove valve cover and upper timing belt cover. Remove side engine mount. Remove engine oil dipstick and tube. Remove crankshaft pulley. See Fig. 4 .
3. Support engine. Remove 2 rear bolts from engine center support beam. Lower engine enough to permit removal of lower timing belt cover. Remove rubber seal from belt tension adjuster nut. Remove lower timing belt cover.
CAUTION:DO NOT rotate crankshaft or camshaft when removing timing belts.
4. Lock timing belt adjuster arm into position by installing one lower cover retaining bolt. Loosen belt tension adjuster bolt. See Fig. 5 . Push belt tensioner to release tension from belt. Tighten adjuster bolt. Remove balance shaft and camshaft timing belts.
1.Align White mark on flywheel or drive plate (flexplate) with pointer on block. Ensure camshaft(s) is at TDC for No. 1 cylinder. See Fig. 3. Install camshaft timing belt. See Fig. 6. Align rear timing balance shaft belt pulley by inserting a 6 x 100 mm bolt 2.9" (74 mm) into alignment access hole. Align groove on front balance shaft pulley with pointer on oil pump body. See Fig. 7 .
2. Adjust timing belt tension by rotating crankshaft counterclockwise until No. 1 piston is at TDC of compression stroke. Loosen, but do not remove, timing belt adjustment bolt. Rotate crankshaft counterclockwise 3 teeth on camshaft pulley to create tension on timing belt. Tighten adjustment bolt to specification.
3. Reverse removal procedure to complete installation. Tighten crankshaft pulley bolt to specification. Adjust drive belts to proper tension.
Before removal of the timing belt, use the hexagon point on the camshaft to hold while you remove the camshaft sprocket bolt.
With a DOHC do i need to hold both? and can you show me a pic of what you are talking about to make sure we are on the same track thank you
I a just needing a step by step on how to change the timing belt on a 2004 Kia Rio, 1.5 litre automatic please
1 answer • 2004 Kia Rio
How to install a timing belt on a 97 hyundai accent gt dohc?
1 answer • 1997 Hyundai Accent • 90,000 miles
How do you change a timing belt and set up the timing on a 1997/98 ford escort 55 van. engine is a 1.8TD
1 answer • 1997 Ford Escort • 150 miles
Have 86 mazda b2000 with 2.0 liter need to know how to line the timing geer and harmonic balancer when putting new timing belt
1 answer • 1986 Mazda b2000 • 83,000 miles