BRAKE PROBLEM

1994 Honda Accord • 187,000 miles

I did a brake job on my accord. New wheel bearings, pad clips, rotors and pads. Now every time I hit the brake I get a synchronous thump from the passenger side front when I slow down. When I push light its fine, the harder I stomp, the louder it thumps. Took it apart to see what it could be and the brakes seem to be fine, no uneven wear, no scoring in unusual places. The thing that I wanna know is if it could be something else (transmission, steering rack). I replaced the outer tie rods less than a year ago, the upper ball joints less than a month ago, and the cv axles about a year ago. The passenger side was from a junk yard and the driver side was re manufactured. Bottom line is that it didnt do this before. Im stumped. Anything would be helpful. Thanks.
Ricoe2010

Do the new brake pads fit loosely in the caliper housing?

Not anymore. I changed the retaining clips. Still thinking its something other than the brakes. They seem to be in order. Brackets are tight. Pins are tight and have good travel. Rotors and pads are new. Calipers are doing there thing. Someone said it could be something to do with the ABS. Just confused.

Ricoe2010
If the niose is repetitive with hard brakings only, it could be the ABS that is being triggered. This is normal braking operations when the brakes are too effective resulting in the wheel locking and the ABS system pumping to release the calipers.

Do you feel the thumping at the brake pedal?

Yep. It pulses when I give about ide say 30% brake. I didnt do all four at the same time. I did the back brakes about a year ago, they still have more than half a pad left. I took the car out to the interstate today and got it up to 85 and mashed the brake till about 65 and after that its seeming to be getting better. The noise is almost gone when the brakes get warm.

Ricoe2010
That is ABS operations and seems the brakes on one of the wheel is more effective than the others causing the ABS to kick in. Check the calipers, especially the driver side. If you did not bleed the system, do so and at the same time you can give the brake system a fresh fluids change.