I CANT SHIFT IN TO REVERSE AND IT POPS OUT OF 2ND

1994 GMC Sierra • 310,000 miles

The guy I bough the truck said it was something to do with the shift tower pin is this easy to fix?
Nev_summer69

Is this even the shift tower pin or is it the tranny? It shift fine in 1st 3rd and 4th and ovver drive (5th) just cant find reverse and pops out of 2nd

Nev_summer69
If it pops out of 2nd it can be a bent shift rod, a worn synchro or the shifter itself. Normally these have to beopened up to find the real problem. Try putting it in reverse with the engine off, if it does that and stays in then it may be a clutch adjustment or clutch problem. Best thing is have a pro give his opinion on it.

The guy took it to a pro and they said it was
a pin in the shift tower or slipped fork

Nev_summer69
Yes it cold be that as well or worn out shift tower. You'll have to remove it to look at it.

Ok thanks

Nev_summer69
It ended up to be a broken pin in the shift tower

Nev_summer69
It keeps breaking the pin do I need to replace the shift tower I have it tighten right up but now its harder then hell to shift

Nev_summer69
Then loosen it a bit and see what happens. The pin may be soft that you are putting in also. Another thing ifyou switch to synthetic oil for the trans( assuming it's manual) then it will shift much easier.