RUMBLING NOISE WHEN STANDING STILL WITH BRAKES DEPRESSED AND CAR IN DRIVE

1994 Geo Prizm • 122 miles

I have a rumbling noise that happens whenever I apply the brakes and come to a stop. It makes the noise when the car is in gear but stop if I put the car into neutral. The steering wheel also vibrates which I'm sure is an unrelated problem but I though was worth mentioning.

I put new brakes pads and rotors on the car 5/1/12

Thanks,
smsjazz81
Smsjazz81

Have you checked all the engine and transmission mounts?

No I haven't where are they located, how many are there and how do you tell if they're are bad?

Smsjazz81
Do you have the 1.6 or 1.8L engine?

There are at least 4 mounts thay are rubber and metal used to isolate engine vibrations. Thay some times will brake or get week and mis align the engine and alow parts of the engine and or transmission to be in contact with the body of the car. To check them you would start with a visual check and then pry on them with a large bar checking for excessive movement.

Djcl
You have a front transmission mount rear transmission mount a front right one up by the cylinder head by the timing cover and a lower engine mount.

94 geo prizm LSI 1.6L

Smsjazz81
The mounts are still in the same place for that engine as well.

I plan on replacing all engine/transmission mounts today. Wish me luck.

Smsjazz81
Good luck did you find some bad ones?

They were moving a bit except for one and the rubber pieces were all dry and cracking I got 2 done today and am doing the others tommorow.

Smsjazz81
Page 1 of 2