OIL PRESSURE DROPS THEN COMES UP

1994 Ford Thunderbird • 213,839 miles

My oil pressure drops to nil, then comes back up when I rev up the engine to 2000 plus rpm's. The motor is a 3.8L non super charged engine.
Demoguy1073

Is the engine knocking? Replace the oil pressure switch first

Cadieman
THIS MAY NOT BE SERIOUS. OR IT COULD BE!

IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING FUNNY NOISES OR KNOCKING AT LOW PRESSURE FOR SURE, IT IS SERIOUS

SOMETHING NOT MENTIONED HERE, IS HAVE YOU CHECKED YOUR OIL LEVEL?

WHAT I MEAN IS "YOU"---NOT "DAVE" DOWN AT THE "SUPER DOOPER LUBE" TWO MONTHS AGO!

IT IS IMPORTANT TO CHECK IT AT MINIMUM, "WEEKLY" AS PROBABLY PRESCRIBED IN YOUR OWNERS MANUAL. AND ALSO IF YOU SUSPECT A PROBLEM OR YOUR GAUGE OR LIGHT SAYS YOU HAVE A PROBLEM! ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN WITHIN SECONDS, YOUR OIL PLUG FALLS OUT (INSTALLED WRONG) OR ROAD DEBRIS KNOCKS A HOLE IN YOUR PAN. IF OIL IS THE ISSUE, IMMEDIATELY SHUT IT DOWN!

EVEN IF YOU "HAVE OIL"---YOUR OIL PUMP MAY NOT BE WORKING!

HAVE YOU KEPT UP WITH SCHEDULED CHANGES?

USING THE CORRECT OIL?

THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED TO DO NOW

REMOVE YOUR OIL SENDER AND INSTALL A MECHANICAL OIL PRESSURE GAUGE---THIS WILL GIVE YOU AN ACCURATE READING AS TO WHAT YOUR ACTUAL OIL PRESSURE IS.

ONE SET UP LIKE MINE, OR AN AFTERMARKET UNDER THE DASH MOUNT (USED AS A PORTABLE) WILL ALLOW IT TO BE RUN OUT FROM UNDER THE HOOD AND INTO YOUR WINDOW, SO YOU CAN WATCH IT AS YOU DRIVE.

IF IT SAYS EVERYTHING IS A-OKAY WITH THE MECHANICAL GAUGE

YOUR SENDER IS MOST LIKELY DEFECTIVE (NORMALLY THE PROBLEM IN CASES LIKE YOURS)---THEN THE ACTUAL GAUGE IN THE DASH WOULD BE THE SECOND GUESS AS TO BEING BAD

SOME PEOPLE JUST CHANGE THE SENDER AS THEIR "TEST"---I LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THE "REAL DEAL IS".I CAN'T AFFORD A NEW ENGINE EITHER

SEE MY PIC BELOW OF MY GAUGE

SEND YOUR RESULTS