COOLANT COMING FROM UNDER DASH AND SMOKE COMING FROM VENTS

1994 Ford Tempo • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic •

1994 Ford Tempo automatic transmission. I didn't have any trouble using our heater to defrost the frost or snow on the windshield. The rear defrost works perfectly fine. It was only 3 or 4 mos. Ago that I thought of testing the heater, you know, in preparation for the winter season. That's when I got worried! Here's what I usually do: I would set the temperature towards the red part. Then, turn-on the front defrost switch. Select the fan to medium speed. Then, guess what happens! Smoke comes out! This continued until now! Then it was only two (2) weeks ago I noticed green stuff dripping to the bottom of the driver's and passenger's seats (not a lot to be noticed). You could see it if you looked closely and with the light on. And finally, I went to an auto repair shop, and as soon as I said, "smoke coming out of vents" then said heating core. So, the started computing an estimate and they came up with $201.84 (includes parts and labor and anti-freeze). I looked around to see if I could get a cheaper estimate. Do you have another suggestion on why it's smoking through the vents when the defrost or heater is switched on or do you agree with these people? In addition, do you think the estimate is approximately, close to what is acceptable or could you give me an accurate and least costly estimate?

2CarPros-Archives

It appears as if the heater core is leaking again. As for the estimate, prices vary from area to area.

2CarPros-Archives