FORD TAURUS DISTRIBUTOR PROBLEM

1994 Ford Taurus • 120,000 miles

I own a 1994 Ford Taurus and mistakenly took out the distributor and didn’t take head to the TDC and didn't even mark my distributor location. I put the distributor back in and started the car (which obviously didn't start) and perhaps got fortunate when I attempted at taking it out and put it back in at a different rotation (I didn't rotate the distributor itself but rather the center of the distributor) and the car started just fine. The car makes a unique noise now when I speed up fast (not loud but a quieter version of when the car wouldn't start with the distributor not set correctly [after the starter was initiated]). And, I don't feel like the car is using its' full horsepower capabilities: the engine revs high when flooring the gas but the car just doesn't seem to go as fast in relation to how high the revs are. Is it possible that the distributor is still not adjusted correctly or will the car even start when the adjustment isn't exactly perfect?

Your timing is still off. It is retarded. Take it to a shop to have them properly time the motor for you.