TIMING ISSUE

1994 Ford Probe • 193 miles

A pulley broke as I was driving on the highway last week, which caused the timing belt to come off. When the pulley broke, the bolt snapped off, flush with the block. The mechanic spent hours trying to drill it out, with no luck. He talked me out of having him pull the engine to be able to completely drill the bolt out because he wasn't sure the motor would even run once he put a new belt on. HOWEVER, he did say he was able to turn the cranks/cams (please bare with me here, not 100% on exact verbiage to be used), lining them up to notches/marks they're supposed to match up with, which apparently is a good sign. When the belt came off, I didn't hear ANY metal on metal sounds (valves hitting sound?).

So basically, he gave up trying to get that pulley bolt drilled the rest of the way out and convinced me it's not worth me spending the $$$ to have him continue.

Does this sound feasible to any of you who know about this particular problem? I saw for myself the lack of space between the wheel-well and where the bolt for the pulley goes, but it just seems to me there should/could be another alternative to just trashing the car & engine because he's uncertain.
Nancydrewl

If it's the bolt in the crankshaft, the crankshaft can be replaced (not easy, but possible). If it's the bolt in the camshaft, IT can be replaced (much easier). I believe there is also a timing belt tensioner. If THAT is where the bolt broke, then it could be a problem, especially if the person doing the work screwed up and drilled into the block instead of the center of the bolt.
But pulleys are on the accessory drive belt, OUTSIDE the engine, not on the timing belt. DO you have any pictures you can upload?

Rivermikerat
I'll have the car back home later this afternoon and will take some pictures and upload them for you. Thanks SO MUCH for your time and help. : )

Nancydrewl
My pleasure.

Rivermikerat
Rivermikerat, I apologize for the delay. Been super busy (i'm sure you've lost sleep waiting for the pictures! LOL) but I was able to take some snaps just now of the issue at hand.

Nancydrewl
Let's try again. Those are corrupt apparently.

Nancydrewl
#2

Nancydrewl
#3

Nancydrewl
Looking at it really closely, it looks like the left side timing belt idler/tensioner pulley mount. You need to gain access to the front of it so you can drill out the center of the bolt that is stuck in the threaded opening. You can buy a small left-hand-thread drill bit, so that as you're drilling the bolt, you're also working to remove it. With the drill bit, in a kit, you should also get a properly-sized screw extractor. I would recommend cleaning the bolt hole threads up some if the drill went off-center of the bolt at all.
You can cut the portion of the fenderwell away to get at the bolt better.

Rivermikerat