REPLACING FAN CLUTCH F150 W/5.0

1994 Ford F-150 • 142,000 miles

What does replacing the fan clutch do for and to the engine? What can I expect differently? I have noticed a few things since mine was replaced last week. Higher idle at times, higher rpm in first gear, longer for auto trans to shift and alot more noise, like there is 4 fans. Also had water pump replaced, lower hose, bypass hose and oil pan gasket.
Thanks for anything.
Aceshigh717

If your old fan clutch was bad with the new one you will hear more noise because the old one wasnt blowing enough air. So now you really hear it blowing the air like it should.

Basicially the old fan wasnt engaging and blowing the correct amount of air so you will hear the difference. Even when the clutch isnt engage you will hear more air blow then the old one. It may sound like its idling higher because of the increased noise from the air increase of the new fan clutch. Does the actual tach reader higher rpms at idle?Also could effect shift points because the new fan clutch working correctly will put more of a load on the engine then the old worn out one.

My truck does not have a tach. I checked online again and found out it is a severe duty clutch. That is what all places offer for this vehicle. I don't know what type clutch was taken off. Tuesday, I was leaving a place, gunned it to beat traffic and the truck would barely move, like all power was gone. That never happened before. It would get up and move. Today I left the same place alot slower and had to let off the pedal so the transmission would change gears. Would a standard clutch or even a flex fan be better?
Thanks in advance!

Aceshigh717
Usually when you have to let off the gas for the transmission to shift that is a sign of a plugged cat. So when the is cold with the engine off. Is the fan clutch locked?

I checked the fan yesterday morning before I went anywhere. It did turn but not freely. I checked it again when I got home and it turned the same way.

Aceshigh717
When its cold it should turn with some resistance but not totally locked up. Was it it totally locked up?

Had some resistance. No free spin and not locked up. Maybe it is doing what it is suppose to. I have had the truck since 2003 and used to the way the old one was operating.

Aceshigh717
If the truck is barely moving thats not normal something is wrong. Plugged cat bad fan clutch maybe. Any codes in the computer?

Have not done a self test for codes. I am not familiar with this on my vehicle. Trying to find out more about it.

Aceshigh717
Did you find out how to do the self check yet?Did you get a back pressure test down yet?Doe you think the new fan clutch is dragging the power of the engine down?