DODGE VAN ABS PROBLEM

1994 Dodge Van • 44,000 miles

Have a problem with gas gage, not working. Bounces back and forth, mostly stays on empty. What could be the cause. I have a parts van. The only difference is the wheel base that I know of.
1 shor twb and parts van has a long wb. Would the gas tanks float, pump assy. Be the same?
Waynes van

That's due to a bad contact on the sending unit. No new parts are needed. Drop the tank, remove the pump assembly, and you'll see the float arm on the side. Carefully lift the little plastic finger holding the arm on, slide the arm off, and you'll see two brass tabs. One is for the gauge and one is for the "Low Fuel" light. Bend both of those tabs out a little. 1/32" will do it; I go 1/16" for good measure. Snap the arm back on and put 'er together. Yours might have only one tab. If it does, the Body Computer controls the warning light.

Thank you! Hope that is all I need.

Waynes van
You used to be able to buy just the sending unit. It slides into a slot on the side of the housing, but the chances of it developing the same problem in a few years is high. Bending the tabs on the original one is a permanent fix. Holler back when you have it fixed.

My father has a '94 Van that did this twice. Both times were a precursor of the fuel pump breaking. I know you didn't want to know this, but it may be something you may need to prepare for.

JeffreyDJudson