DURING A COLD START ENGINE RUNS ROUGH AS IF ITS MISSING?

1994 Chevrolet Silverado • 400,000 miles

During cold season or weather 40 degree or below my 94 chevy 350 pick-up, it has all new tune-up which it did improve the problem some what but not all the way. I pulled no engine code. Now when I start to drive it, it does the same thing acts like it is missing or hesitating to take off but it does accelerate never has stalled. If I give get on it pretty hard it runs and takes off great. Now after maybe 5 mins or so pretty much once I notice the temp gauge has moved up some it runs great. And yes it has 400000 miles on original engine doesnt smoke and runs great any other time and trans and rear end with just minor repairs. Also just a simple question beside I figure the trans is just old but the transmission shift hard into second gear only shifts better after warm up. I have always serviced the transmission at least every 60,000 miles has clean fluid I maybe do perform a flush on it when I get the chance I know it needs a new filter.
Rollentideman

I MAY BE OF LITTLE HELP

I'M STILL STUCK IN THE CARBURETOR AGE

ARE YOU USING FLUIDS RECOMMENDED FOR THOSE EXTREME CONDITIONS?

I DON'T LIVE AT THE NORTHPOLE AS IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU DO, BUT IT GET'S COLD DOWN HERE IN S.C. TOO. ANYTHING UNDER 6O DEGREES IS COLD TO ME. BUT REALLY, AT 20s AND 30s, JUST ABOUT ANY MACHINE NEEDS TO WARM UP TO OPERATING TEMPERATURE BEFORE YOU CAN EXPECT TIP TOP PERFORMANCE.

I MEAN LIKE---ARTIFICIAL WARMTH OR JUST LET IT IDLE FOR 5-10 MINUTES BEFORE YOU TAKE OFF! EVEN WAY BACK, YOUR HORSE DIDN'T OPERATE WELL TILL HE HAD A WARM UP!

I REALLY AM TRYING TO HELP. THIS IS HOW I APPROACH THE OLD VEHICLE WAY---AS I STILL DRIVE. IF YOU STILL THINK YOU HAVE A MECHANICAL ISSUE AND NO ONE ELSE JUMPS IN WITH ANOTHER ANSWER.I WILL FIND YOU ANOTHER EXPERT, LET ME KNOW IF THAT'S WHAT YOU WANT.

I'M SURE YOU ARE PROBABLY FAMILIAR WITH THIS OR SOMETHING SIMILAR. EX-GIRLFRIENDS '82 MUSTANG 2OO 6 CYLINDER WAS VERY COLD NATURED.I FELL INTO THIS AT A YARD SALE FOR $5 STILL BOXED UP. IT INSTALLS ON THE LOWER RADIATOR HOSE AS CLOSE TO THE RADIATOR AS POSSIBLE. WARM WATER RISES!

I HAD IT PLUGGED INTO A TIMER AND DROVE A POST IN WHERE SHE PARKED.

SHE WAS A BIT ON THE "LAZY, INATTENTIVE" MODE AT TIMES, SO I KINDA PUT A SMALL HOSE CLAMP AROUND THE PLUG PORTION AND A PIECE OF 550 CORD (PARACHUTE CORD) AND TIED THAT TO HER CAR AND TIED THE EXTENSION CORD TO THE POST

PRESTO!---IF SHE BACKED UP, IT UNPLUGGED ITSELF! (AND THE WIRES DIDN'T GET SNATCHED OUT!)

I KNOW THEY MAKE "DIPSTICK HEATERS" TOO---I KNOW LITTLE ABOUT HOW GOOD THEY WORK

BUT I CAN TELL YOU THIS

THE TIMER WAS SET TO COME ON 3 HOURS BEFORE SHE DROVE IT

THE WINDOW STAYED DEFROSTED BECAUSE I GUESS THAT WAS "DEFAULT" ON THE HEATER BOX, AND THE HEATER CORE GOT WARM

AND THERE WAS "WARMTH" COMING OUT OF THE VENTS WHEN YOU 1ST CRANKED UP

THE ENGINE AND RADIATOR WERE PRETTY WARM

IT RAN A LOT BETTER, UNTIL IT FULLY WARMED UP

THIS THING CAME FROM NAPA ORIGINALLY, AND AFTER SEEING THIS ONE, ONE OF MY FRIENDS GOT ONE, I THINK IT WAS UNDER $40, BUT DON'T HOLD ME TO THAT ---I STILL HAVE IT. IT WAS USED IT ABOUT 8 YEARS AGO

JUST SOME THOUGHTS---THOUGHT IT COULD HELP