BUICK PARK AVENUE SURGE PROBLEM

1994 Buick Park Avenue • 20,000 miles

When starting off in "D" just as the car begins to move it seems like the torque converter tries to lockup then release, then goes on and upshifts normlly. When cruise control is turned on, it surges. When starting off with shift lever in 1, 2, or 3 it starts off smoothly goes on to upshift to "D". When cruise control is turned on it also surges.

Alternator guage on dash surges from about 6/8 volts to 13 volts. The "clunk" happens right at the high voltage point.

I disconnected the big wire that goes from the alternator to the positive post on the battery and gave it a test drive.
Then it started off in "D" and upshifted properly without the clunki. Cruise control also worked properly without any surge.
I have changed the battery, no fix
I have changed the alternator. No fix.
anybody have any ideas on this one?