CAR WILL NOT START OR SLOW STARTING!

1994 BMW 316 • 4 cylinder 2WD Manual • 200,000 miles

I am having the car starting problem. Since I brought the car, it sometimes takes very long to start - from few second to few hours. And sometimes it is just fine. It has been getting worse recently, I will have to push the car to start or using a jumper cable. I went to a car electrican three months ago. He cahecked the car, after he charged the battery the car start normally, then he siad there is no problem with the battery, it is the alterator's problem. After he "fix" it, my car can start normally, after few weeks, the same problem comes back again, slow starting or would not start. Can someone tell me if this can be the battery finished or still the alterator problem? How can I check it myself?
Liu

Sounds like the alternator is not charging the battery, take it back to the electrical repair shop and have it inspected again.

Dr. Hagerty