CRACKED HEAD

1993 Suzuki Escudo • 4 cylinder 4WD Manual •

The radiator cap was left off my car and my engine overheated and cracked the head, the mechanical assessment states that the damage was caused by mechanical failure, my argument is the damage was caused due to the radiator cap being left off.
Retrochiky

With no radiator cap the coolant can easily be lost and as there is no head pressure, the coolant boils at a lower temp, the radiator cap raises the boiling point above the 100 Deg C normal at sea level, the damage was done due to not having the cap fitted.

Mhpautos
My mechanic is trying to tell me that I could've driven from Auckland to Wellington with the radiator cap left off and there would've been no damage caused to my car?
What say you?

Retrochiky
He talking rubbish, or he does not or understand the function of a pressure cap and the cooling system.

Mhpautos
This is an insurance case and the mechanic was selected by the insurance company, I suspect this is a scam, how could I get proof of this information you have told me or what would you suggest I do about it?

Retrochiky
This site should help, also try contacting your local automotive association as they will have all this information as well.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system7.htm

mark (mhpautos)

Mhpautos