RE-INSTALL TIMING BELT

1993 Pontiac Sunbird • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 130,000 miles

I am doing a water pump on my car, and I was looking for some diagrams and some tips on re-aligning the timing belt on the car.
I know what TDC is and I know there are marks on the pulley, but I was just wondering if anyone has a diagram and tips for me for this particular car?
StevenWarren83

Hope this helps.

Yes thank you for that diagram ! Do you have any tips for me about lining up the TDC?Like is there a trick for putting the arrow before the mark while I slip the belt back on to get the marks exact? You know what I mean? Like the neon I did, I had to put the mark like a half inch before the mark before I slipped the belt back on then when I did it lined it up exact. Anything like that i=I should know for this car?

StevenWarren83
Rotate crankshaft and camshaft clockwise to align timing marks on sprockets with marks on rear cover. Install new timing belt on sprokets. Ensure belt is under tension between camshaft sproket and crankshaft sproket. Engine coolant temp shoulod be around 68F.

Using timing belt tension adjuster, rotate water pump clockwise until tensioner contacts high torque stop. Tighten water pump bolts slightly. Using crankshaft sprocket bolt, rotate engine clockwise 2 revolutions to fully seat timing belt. Rotate water pump eccentric counterclockwise until hole in tensioner arm aligns with hole in base. Ensure tension holes remain aligned and timing marks are aligned. I don't know any tricks?

Why are we talking belt when diagram shows chain?

Fixitmr
Got it worked out.. I saw that it had a chain. Not too worry about it... I was able to complete the task without issue.
Thanks to JDL for the Diagrams with the information worked just perfect. I knew what he was saying when saying the timing belt. Same thing as chain excpet for the material it is made with. It is basically the same part mechanically, right? So, I just put 2 and 2 together and got the solution to the problem I had.

Thank you for your concern though, I t fixed the problem so no longer need help. Thank you everyone

Steve form Canada

StevenWarren83
Sorry about that, my bad. Database showed chain, then called it a timing belt, I didn't pay attention. Anyway, glad you got it going.