MAZDA PROTEGE SPARK PROBLEM

1993 Mazda Protege • 4 cylinder FWD Manual • 200,000 miles

I have a 1993 Mazda Protege that shut down on the way to work. The car will turn over just fine but will not start so I changed the plugs, wires, and distributor cap and it still wouldn't fire. My next step was to change the distributor which I did. Now the car will start when the engine is cold and run great for about 5 min. And then once it warms up a little, it dies again and won't start until the engine is cool
Michael1958

Next time it refuses to start don't wait for it to make up its mind-do below immediately to determine if its fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

Concerning 1993 mazda protege I have a 1993 mazda protege whats going on is the coil is giving spark when the car is cold after the car warms up the coil is geting hot so the coil shuts off preventig the car from starting my recomnendation is to replace coil.

Wendell123