ENGINE OVERHEAT

1993 Honda Civic • 180,000 miles

Hi-

I have just replaced the radiator of my car. It's fine for the first few days. After about a week, when I get on the highway, the temperature seems still fine though sometimes the temperature may be a bit higher. But once I get off the highway, the engine temperature start to noticeably heat up and finally hit the red zone and won't go down.

What is the possible cause of it and what is the reasonable price range to repair it?

Thank you

CivicUser

Does your radiator cooling fan work when it's hot?

Fixitmr
Is thermostat new?

Fixitmr
The radiator fan were working when I opened the hood but I am not sure if it was working in other time. The Thermostat is like 5 years old.

CivicUser
Replace the thermostat and ensure that the fan is turning on, start here.

Mhpautos
Thank you for your answer.
What's the reasonable price range to fix it?
Also, could it be the cause of the blown head gasket as well?

Thanks!

CivicUser
Why was the radiator replaced. Was it cracked, leaking @ the seam. Or running hot.

Djcl
I had to add coolant like every week. I took it to the repair shop, they said the radiator was leaking. So I replaced it with a new one.

CivicUser
Also, they said the the bottom side of frame(the rubber or plastic part) of the radiator was broken.

CivicUser
If after replacing the t stat and verifying fan operation if the problem persist I would have a block test done to rule out a head gasket problem.

Djcl
So what kind of cause do you think it might be for the engine overheating in this case?

CivicUser
Page 1 of 2