GMC C1500 ENGINE PROBLEM

1993 GMC C1500 • 150,000 miles

The truck froze up and is leaking water very heavy from the rear of the engine running down both sides of oil pan. I suspect freeze plugs pushed out. Does the engine or trans. Have to be pulled to change them? I am not sure of the location of them either. Local mechanic is quoating 1200.00 and I dont have it.
Geraldkirby

Small block Chevy has two plugs in the back of the motor that necessitates transmission and engine be parted, so yes the transmission and/or engine comes out.

Dr. Hagerty
Is there anyway to see or feel for sure that they have came out? Also someone said there may be a coolant crossover pipe / hose somewhere on the back of the engine that could have blown. Is this possible?

Geraldkirby
Frankly no. It froze. Water expands when frozen. Plugs pushed out. Very likely. Whats also possible is a cracked block. If its leaking as hard as you say it is, pull the tranny/engine.

Dr. Hagerty