WHAT COULD CAUSE:TEMP GAUGE NEEDLE BOUNCES AROUND, NO HEAT FROM HEATER, PINGING UP HILLS, WANTS TO STALL ON TAKE OFF FROM STOP?

1993 Ford Thunderbird • 73,000 miles

I changed thermostat last year because heater not giving out heat. It worked. Car has run great. A few weeks ago I noticed it acted like it was going to stall when I stepped on the gas after being stopped at a light. Then I noticed it started to ping going up hills. Then I noticed the heater quit putting out heat no matter how hot the car is which caused me to notice the temp. Gauge sitting at cold a long time then racing up to half way then back down to 1/4 then up to 3/4 then back down to half. Up and down. I pray it isn't a head gasket as the car isn't worth the repair but all we have.
Scisme

Chekc your coolant level if low fill itup. Then have pressure checked for leaks.