"AIR" ENTERING COOLING SYSTEM

1993 Ford Taurus • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 114,000 miles

Could the water pump put air into the cooling system? I have a 93' Taurus. Air is getting into the cooling system and forcing just enough of the coolant into the overflow tank so that the heater doesn't work. First I thought head gasket, but the engine still runs smooth, there's no water in the oil, and water doesn't seem to be getting into the cylinders. I hooked at tube to the cooling system and put the end in a jar of water. Bubbles come out at irregular intervals; sometimes fast and furious and sometimes not at all. It seems to depend on the engine temp. (Or along the process of heating up) Thanks, Jeff
Jwhpostal

Even though everything seems fine, it sounds like Combustion gases are pushing by your head gasket into the water Jacket (or from a crack etc). I would have your system pressure tested. The Medic