1993 Ford Ranger • 3.0L 4 cylinder 2WD Manual • 230,000 miles

I have what seems to be a complicated problem with my Truck, a 5 speed Ford Ranger 93′. When I turn the key to “On” the fuel pump kicks on, but does’t stop running. When I go to start the truck over it doesn’t want to start. It sounds like it’s not getting any fuel. New battery within the last year and starter sounds good and working. I’ll continue to turn the key to “On” letting the fuel pump run for a few second and then try to turn the truck over, but nothing. After each attempt the truck starts to sound like it is getting more fuel to the engine, but it doesn’t kick over. After the at least 4 or more tries it does eventually start.
When it does start the engine idles rough, acting like it wants to stall, but doesn’t. I can still drive it, but it doesn’t have much power in the 1st gear. Once I get to 3rd gear it runs ok, but you can tell something not right. The “Check Engine” light does come on while the is taking place. When I’m driving I can smell gas and exhaust.
Now after I drive the truck for a while, anywhere from 1/4 mile to 8 miles, the “Check Engine” light turns off and the truck starts running normal. Sometimes it will buck on me when this takes place sometimes it’s smooth. Then the truck runs fine for the rest of the day even when I try to restart it late on.
I’ve taken it to get tested and the tester reads No Code. So I really don’t know what is causing this, but in the beginning it would only happen after it rained. Now it occurs most every morning. I’m figuring something with the fuel system, but since it corrects itself after awhile I’m thinking maybe sensor somewhere. Where would you start?

Scan for codes first also check your starter relay and starter see if power goes through the relay shold be same power as battery