FORD F-150 ENGINE PROBLEM

1993 Ford F-150 • 180,000 miles

I have a 1993 Ford F150 6 cylinder, 5 speed manual transmission. Last night when I took it to do some errands, I got to 5th gear and the check engine light came on. When the light came on, it started sputtering and acting like it wanted to die. Eventually I got it to continue like normal. Last night I could not find any visual signs of leaking. This morning it didn’t want to start, which it may have been low/out of fuel. So we put fuel in it and it started, then the “check engine” light came back on and so did the sputtering. Last night I could not find any visual signs of leaking. I noticed the volts gauge would fluctuate with the engine. Any ideas on what it could be?
Zsell

We need the code to further help you.

When was the last basic tune up

Not sure, I bought this used not so long ago. I recently replaced the spark plugs, cap and rotor at the suggestion of the fellow at AutoZone. However, it still didn't run until I jumped it with my wife's car. It would only stay running with her her car hooked up with jumper cables and with me mashing the gas. When it would run, it would back fire a lot, with black smoke. The engine is getting fuel, I checked the schrader valve on the fuel rail and the spark plugs have some fuel on them. I have spark, tested with a screw driver. Which jumped and zapped me. I cannot get the truck to someone who has a OBD1 reader.

Zsell