STALLING

1993 Dodge Caravan • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic •

What could cause my 1993 dodge caravan to stall when engine gets warmed up. Then start back up when the engine has cooled?
Devon81272

Most common cause is crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor. There should be a stored diagnostic fault code related to the circuit.

Have you checked for spark when it stalls?

Yes It has spark when it stalls. It runs perfectly fine until the engine gets to normal running tempature then starts to spit and sputter and I lose all power and it will stall out. And it won't start again until the engine has cooled. This takes about 2 or 3 hours. We have changed the distributor, distributor cap, rotary button and the fuel regulator. The fuel filter is good. The fuel pump is good. Do not know where to go to next.

Devon81272
If it has spark when it stalls, it has to be a fuel-related problem. The filter will never solve that on a Chrysler product except for the diesel trucks. The best place to start is by teeing into the fuel supply hose near the right strut tower and connecting a fuel pressure gauge to see what's happening. How do you know the fuel pump is good? They rarely quit while they're running but there could be a pickup screen that is getting plugged. The symptom would be stalling when the largest fuel volume is being pumped, ... Which is during coasting. The engine will run fine during acceleration and cruising at highway speed but will stall when you take your foot off the gas pedal.

If you suspect a plugged pickup might be the cause, try disconnecting the vacuum hose from the pressure regulator and plugging it. That will make it run too rich and you might see black smoke from the tail pipe, but it should not stall.