MAKING A LOUD RATTLING SOUND UNDER THE HOOD

1992 Toyota Pickup • 300,000 miles

Was hunting and hit a hole it started then and got louder. It is differently comin from under the hood sounds like something is rattling around the engine any ideas?
Dribbler1

Noise diagnostics requires the presence of the physical vehicle.

You need to provide such information as to when it occurs, under what condition, how does the noise sounds like and is it related to any working components.

Have you opened the hood or gone under the vehicle to check for damages cause by hitting the hole?

As soon as u crank up the vehicle it sounds like there is a bolt loose in the actual engine bouncing around. And I have examed it but there none that I can see

Dribbler1
Rattling noise with engine running could possibly de due to a loose exhaust heat shield. Are you able to pinpoint the area from where the noise is coming from?
Does it change with increase in engine speed? Is it from without or exterior of engine?

What about damaged flywheel inspection cover? How deep was the hole?

Fixitmr
No the fly wheel cover is ok an the highr the rpm the louder the sound. Idling if you stick ur head under the hood it sounds like it's from the top get under the truck an it sounds like it is coming from the bottom. The exhaust shield is secure.

Dribbler1
It is comin from the right side of the engine An its internal sounds like somethin in the cylinders. And it's a tapping or knockin but more tapping. It go's along with the motor so any ideas?

Dribbler1
Didn't dent your oil pan? Or oil filter?

Fixitmr
No they are find

Dribbler1
There are several things that can cause the rattling sound in your engine. First thing would be to check that your water and antifreeze level is good, and flowing properly. Take the cap off the radiator and start the engine. If the water starts spewing out of the radiator you either have a thermostat that is sticking or the water pump is not working properly.

Second, check your oil to see if it is low. If it isn't, you may need to do what I call "double change your oil." On the first change let it run for a little while. Let the engine cool off, and filter the new oil as you drain it into a clean oil bucket or pan. Pour this oil back into the engine, run it again for a few minutes. If this doesn't queit the clatter then you either have oil pump issues and/or an issue with your crankshaft.

A good automotive place can diagnose the issue rather quickly with their equipment.

Hdsink