RUNNING LIGHTS

1992 Toyota Celica • 108 miles

I have a 1992 Toyota Cilica, ST. Suddenly, the "Running Lights" (dash lights, tail, side and front, NOT headlights) stay on. Even if the switch is off and the car is off with the key removed.

Initially, when I turn it on, they will turn off with the switch, only staying on sometimes. Then, they just stay on. The only way then to turn them off is to disconnect the battery.

I have researched on the internet and they all talk about a "Running light relay". According to the relay and fuse section of the manual, and my electrical engineer friend looking at the wiring diagram, there is no relay that exists.

The only thing I can think of to replace is the headlight switch portion of the "Smart switch". The problem is, this is a $108.00 part and I'm not sure thbis is it

I'm not an electrical savy parson, so this is stumping me.

Any advice you may have would be helpful.

Thanks!
DaFaDa

I DON'T KNOW WHAT DIAGRAMS YOU HAVE

I GOT THESE 2 FROM "MITCHELL I"

THE 1ST IS "HEAD-LAMPS"

THE 2ND IS "TAIL-LAMPS"

GOOD THAT YOU HAVE A CAPABLE "READER" WITH YOU. MAYBE THIS WILL SHOW SOMETHING DIFFERENT THAN YOU ALREADY HAVE

LET ME KNOW IF YOU CANNOT READ THEM, I WILL INITIATE A WAY TO GET THEM TO YOU VIA EMAIL, WITHOUT YOU BROADCASTING IT IN OPEN FORUM.I DON'T KNOW HOW THEY WILL LOOK ON HERE UNTIL I POST (THEY ARE CRISP IN MY DOWNLOADS)

SHOULD YOU HAVE TO BUY AN EXPENSIVE PART---I "MAY" (CAN'T PROMISE) BE ABLE TO HELP YOU GET IT LESS EXPENSIVE. LET ME KNOW, I'LL DO WHAT I CAN

(IMMA JEEP CJ KINDA GUY)

I believe your vehicle is not equipped with DRL. Check the taillight control relay, C in diagram. It most likely is bad and sticking.

Pull out fuse # 9 and if lights goes off, the fault lies with the light switch or its wiring. If it does not go off, pull out the defogger fuse. If light goes off, the relay is faulty.

Pull out the defogger relay and if it is same type, use it to test.

KHLow2008.

Many thanks.

Problem solved!

DaFaDa
You're welcome.

Have a nice day.