HOW RELEASE SHIFTER

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva • 112 miles

My 1992 Achieva has been sitting up. It runs fine but I can't get it out of park. The shift lever or "console" is on the floor. The break lights are not comming on when the break is pushed. I removed the ash tray above the shift lever but can find no over-ride. I was told there should be a "hole" someplace on the console to fit in a small screwdriver to over-ride the shift lever.
Is there an "over-ride" for the shift lever?
If so where is it?
If not, how can I over-ride the shifter?
Bruenor3624

The system is designed like this. Power passes through the brake light switch when you hit the brakes. Then it is sent to both the lights and the park lock solenoid. If there is no power, the park lock solenoid will not release.

Check the brake light switch. That is where the problem is coming from. It is at the top of the brake pedal. Make sure it is getting power, properly adjusted. Once you get the rear brake lights to work, it will then come out of park.