WHILE DRIVING CAR CUTS OFF BUT WILL START RIGHT BACK UP WHAT'S WRONG?

1992 Nissan Maxima • 193,000 miles

Engine has a small intake leak but other than that engine runs fine
Biggestboss

Sounds like an electrical fault but guessing it here is almost impossible without seeing and touching it. Off the top of my head, make sure all the grounds around the battery and on the block are clean and tight. Check the connector at the distributor for good contact.
Beyond that, you may need a shop that specializes in intermittent electrical failures.

Does it cut off only when gas pedal is released?

It cuts off while the gas petal is pressed

Biggestboss
Yes, this is an electrical problem and the ignition switch is one of the main causes for such problem.

When engine cuts off, if the dash indicators remains off, the ignition switch would be the prime suspect.

Youll need to check the fuel pressure with a gauge. What is the pressure when it quits?Fix it so you can see it while driving.

Cadieman
The transmission also drops down in a lower gear sometimes while driving could this be the problem?

Biggestboss
The dash lights don't come on right when the motor stalls they light up a few seconds later

Biggestboss
I believe you have a problem with the ignition switch. It fails to work after heating up and that is the reason the dash indicators do not light up when engine stalled.

Check the chargeing sys. To make sure you working with proper voltage. Then the fuel pressure. After that check the electrical.

Cadieman
Are you sure it isnt the intake gasket leak that I have? Could that be triggering the map sensor?

Biggestboss