MITSUBISHI MIRAGE DISTRIBUTOR PROBLEM

1992 Mitsubishi Mirage • 147,000 miles

I am attemping to set the timing on my Mirage 1.5L. I have replaced the timing belt and aligned the timing marks on the crank shaft and cam shaft. I took the cap off the distributor and it appears that the button is pointed at #1 when the #1 piston is TDC. There is no room for adjustment though. The button only reaches #1 when the distributor is turned all the way counter clockwise. The distrubutor can be moved clockwise or counter clockwise by looseing 2 bolts. It looks like the distributor connects to the camshaft, so I dont know how it could have gotten off. The timing mark on the timing belt pulley lines up, but the distributor seems to be off. On older models you could just pull the distributor out and adjust the shaft, but I cant seem to find any adjustment. It seems if the distributor would continue to rotate, I could set the timing.
Mirage31825

You don't set the timing this way. A timing light is required to check and if the rotor is not at the correct position, the timing belt has been installed incorrectly.