TIMING BELT MISSING

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max • 4 cylinder 2WD • 170 miles

I'm replacing my timing belt on my 92 Mighty Max w/ a 2.4 liter. I noticed that there wasn't a smaller timing belt on my truck. Is this belt even needed? There is no signs of any broken belts.
Jessicaashley

On this vehicle, there is only one timing belt. Is there another belt that appears missing?

It's a small belt that goes on the crank behind the main belt. It goes to a small pulley on the left side of the engine as you are looking at it.

Jessicaashley
I don't see a answer to my question, though the site says you answered it.

Jessicaashley
In the timing belt kit, it has the main belt and a smaller belt called timing belt B it's a small belt that goes on the crank behind the main belt. It goes to a small pulley on the left side of the engine as you are looking at it.

Jessicaashley
This is why I don't offer any $ for sites like this. You haven't answered my question. You've replied 3 times w/ no new answer.

Jessicaashley
O.K. I'll try this again. There is also supposed to be a small belt coming off of the crank. It is a part of the timing belt kit and the manual says it should have one. But there isn't one on the truck What is the purpose of this smaller belt?

Jessicaashley
The second belt is required it is a balance shaft. Used to balance the engine. Without it at high Rpms or even a very long drives the vibration motor puts out, can and will damage the motor. You can find the timing marks on the gears as well as the housing.
It is very hard to get all the timing marks to line up but it can be done. Remember do not turn the camshaft in reverse rotation it will damage the valves. So to answer you straight up get both belts. I'm surprised the person you got the big timing belt from didn't know that

Mitsubishi dude