. I RECENTLY HAD TO REPLACE A CRACKED HEAD DUE TO OVER HEATING ISSUES. HAVE DISCOVERED THAT THE RADIATOR COOLING FAN DOES NOT "KICK" ON. THE FAN DOES WORK HOWEVER AND WILL COME ON WHEN THE A/C IS TURNED ON. HAVE REPLACED THE COOLING FAN

1992 Mercury Tracer • 74,000 miles

Thank you in advance.
Bdogg0070

What is the question?In the subject looks like you start to ask a question but never finsh it.

Oops sorry. I typed it all right there did not know it wouldn't show it all. But in short the cooling fan does not kick on at normal operating temperature. It will turn on when the A/C is on.I have replaced the relay and the switch for it. But it still will not come on when it is suppose to. Do not want to have to replace another cracked head anytime in the near future.

Bdogg0070
So when you say you replaced the switch for it do you mean the coolant temp sensor?If so how many wires were going to it and what colors were the wires?

Yes it actually has two sensors. Only one controls the fan, the other sends a signal to the temp gauge. The one I replaced has two wires. Think the colors are one is green the other looks brown

Bdogg0070
When I connect my scan tool to it the cooling fan does kick on. First low speed then hi speed

Bdogg0070
So do you have a actual scanner that reads engine data or is it a code reader that just flashes the lights?Also do you have a multimeter?

Yes I have a scanner that reads the codes and gives engine data and yes I have a multi meter. I am a professional mechanic. Just did some further research and figured out the issue. Apparently the parts I replaced were correct I just did not let it heat up enough for the fan to kick on by itself. (Smacks self upon the head). LOL. But thank you for attempting to help me out. I guess the $3.00 I donated was a waste of my money. Oh well. Have a good weekend.

Bdogg0070
Thats where I was going with this if you had a scanner that read live data I was going have you warm up the car and watch the temp on the scanner screen and see if the fan turned on at the correct temp for low and high speeds. But sounds like you figured that out because if the fan comes on with the a/c you know the fan relay fan motor wires etc is. Really the only other thing to look at was the sensor which you already repalced or a connector issue.