VEHICLE STALLS AT SLOW DOWN

1992 Isuzu Amigo • 4 cylinder 2WD Manual • 113,000 miles

I have a 1992 Amigo Isuzu. It is running rich. Also when I put my foot on the clutch to slow down, it stalls. It runs fine in 1st and 2nd gear. My engine light is on and someone told me it was a code 23 so it needed a new computer. I did not trust them. The local Autozone cannot test the trouble light due to the age of the truck. I do not have a fuel injection system. I know for a fact the fuel sensor does not work properly so this may be the reason for the engine light. The truck has always idled high. Perhaps it could just be idled too low? I have put in a new gas filter (inline and carb), new spark plugs and wires, new oxygen sensor. The fuel pump has less than 200 miles. The carb is fairly new but the gasket was bad. I actually had to use a disposal gasket since I could not find one. I cleaned the EGR valve. It sat up for a year so I have put in gas cleaners and changed the inline filter 3x. I just want to get it running so I can sell it! It does smoke but the smoke does not have a smell.
Pamla

Is the smoke black? Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Is the choke sticking?

The smoke is white. I have changed out some of the vacuum hoses and I cannot detect any leaks. This is my first experience at working on a vehicle mechanically: ). I don't think the choke is sticking. It seems more like it is running out of gas. There is a strong fuel smell as well.

Pamla
I idled the carb a little higher and the truck is no longer stalling when I slow down to stop. However, I now notice smoke coming from under the engine and it seems very hot.

I checked the radiator and it seems fine. I cannot tell where the smoke is coming from but it seems to be on the left side of the truck where the emmissions stuff is located.

Pamla
I thought I would mention that the engine is now reving up and down. I think I have figured out the problem. I believe it is a bad EGR valve. I'll install a new one and go from there. Hopefully, my testing will help someone else.

Pamla
The EGR can cause issues. Let me know what you find.

The new EGR valve is installed. Veh still sounded like it had a vacuum leak. Replaced all the vacuum lines. Did found one vacuum plug blown and replaced that as well. NOW the vehicle is making a "pop pop" noise. Will it ever end? What could I have done to create this popping noise when I just changed out the EGR valve and vacuum hoses? Vehicle is still running rough. HELP!

Pamla
Does the popping noise come from the intake area or the exhaust? As far as anything you could have done, there really isn't anything.

The white smoke is coming from the exhaust. When I listen under the hood, it sounds like there may be a spark plug misfiring. I put on new spark plugs and wires about a week ago.

I tried putting carb spray on all the hoses and intake area but did not seem to leak.

The guy at Advance Auto tells me the new EGR valve may be bad since I did not have the "popping" sound before and such a large amount of smoke. I am going to put my old ERG valve back on and see if it goes back to the way it was (running rough and blowing just a little smoke occasionally). If so, I will take it back for a replacement.

What do you think might be more likely: 1) Spark Plug misfiring or 2) Vacuum Leak or 3)Timing is off at timing belt. Or do you think it is something else?

I have actually enjoyed learning thru error on fixing this blasted truck. It's like a challenging puzzle.

Pamla
Also.A guy at Advance Auto asked if I had made sure the fuel to air ratio on the carb was calerbrated properly. What do you think of that one. I did not even know about the screw other than adjusting the idle.

Pamla
The air / fuel ratio is adjustable. The screws (if I remember correctly) will be on the bottom front of the carb. I have attached a picture of a carb. Let me know if it is the same as the one on your vehicle.

One concern is this. At the bottom of the carb is the throttle shaft. Years and miles can cause them to wear and allow vacuum leaks. I'm starting to question that.

Take a look and let me know.

Page 1 of 2