SPEEODMETER AND ODOMETER

1992 GMC Sonoma • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 125,000 miles

My speedometer and odometer quit working. I replaced the speed sensor on trans. Checked resistance on the stepper motors in cluster. Replaced cluster. Check for voltage going to speed sensor plug=0. Also traced wiring back to firewall. What else can I do?
Jestergmc

I also cleaned plug with electrical cleaner and checked for voltage at the wire and plug.

Jestergmc
Raise rear wheels off ground place DVOM meter on AC scale trans in neutral. Rotate tires by hand @3mph meter shloud read.5 - 1 v AC

Docfixit
Do I take the reading off the speed sensor? If it read good or bad what are the options?

Jestergmc
Yes reading off seed sensor this will tell if signal is being produced

Docfixit
I got readings that jumped from 0 to 1.5 but had to turn the wheels at higher speed to get anything? So what does that mean?

Jestergmc
Is there something simple that I am missing?

Jestergmc
Find VSS buffer item F in first diagram on firewall near ECM. Check White Wire term.10 for output to speedo also check input signal from VSS

Docfixit
I am having a hard time finding the VSS. Is it on the engine firewall or in the cab?

Jestergmc
Info I have firewall next to ECM

Docfixit
Thanks. I found it and fixed it.

Jestergmc
Page 1 of 2