DO I HAVE THE WRONG STARTER?

1992 GMC Jimmy • 180,000 miles

I replaced the starter in my GMC Jimmy with a remanufactured one from Advanced Auto. All it does is spin but it doesn't seem to be connecting with the flywheel. The repair manual said not to use more than four.015 in shims. I did that and still, it just spins. The bendix doesn't engage the flywheel at all. I placed all of the shims on the bolt farthest from the flywheel. Did I do this right? Or should I have placed the shims on the bolt closest to the flywheel?

The old starter worked at least 1 out of 10 tries and required no shims.

Worldwide starter p6416s

The electrical has been tested in the vehicle as 'good'.
Kcir1971

The shims go between both bolts, but only if needed. They're not meant to tip the starter. They add clearance between the gears when you run into a loud whine from the starter. Install any starter with no shims first and try it. If it whines, add one shim. If it still whines, add the second shim. I've never heard of needing three shims.

First try turning the engine a little by hand at the front vibration damper or by pulling on the belts. If the starter works, suspect a worn spot on the ring gear that the starter drive meshes with.