WILL JUST SIMPLY SHUT DOWN

1992 Ford Tempo • 40,000 miles

My COLD AND HOT METER ON MY 1992 FORD TEMPO STOPPED FUNCTIONING BUT MY CAR IS RUNNING SMOOTHLY TIL I DRIVE IT LONG DISTANCE. THEN IT WILL JUST SIMPLY SHUT DOWN. WHAT DO I NEED TO REPLACE OR FIX?

I recently purchased this car and found it functioning quite well
up til recently when the Meter for the Cold / Hot function on the left side of the dashboard stopped functioning.A few days later when I drove the car it would shut down after I drove it for a long distance of about 60 miles or more. What should I replace or fix to get the Cold/Hot meter functioning again so the car won't shut off after I drive it a long distance?

If I leave the car to rest or cool off it will start right up again if I leave it or cool it off for an hour or two.
Causality2

Check or replace the temperature sending unit. Make sure it isn't truly overheating. If it is, the sending unit won't be the problem. Chances are it will be a thermostat or other issue.