I NEED HELP PLEASE

1992 Ford Ranger • 150,000 miles

I have a 1992 ford ranger the motor keeps dieing for no apparent reason it will not start back up until I turn the ignition all the way off then crank and it will start it seems if I push the ignition firmly into the column it doesnt appear to stall as much but that could be my imagination do you know what could cause this problem
Rkawamoto

What if you gently move the key around while its running will it die?

Nope

Rkawamoto
The problem seemed to get worse like it just didnt happen it would happen once in a while an now the only way I can drive it is to have my hand on the key all the time an wen it dies I just turn it off an then back on

Rkawamoto
Could. Be a bad ignition switch or another issue. Do you have any codes?

No that sounds like a bad ignition switch.

Meaning the part that I put the key in or the electrical thing thats down on the column that the rod goes into from the keyed part

Rkawamoto
Your going to. Have to look and see if its the switch or linkage.

What I meant was is it the key tumbler thing or is it the electronic switch thing that the rod goes into that is mounted on the col8umn

Rkawamoto
Your going to have see which it is I can't tell because I can't see what's going. On
I would suspect the switch.

I went and bought the electronic switch and that didnt help it does the same thing was testing it with the electronic part just hanging there using a screw driver dont really know if the key part of the ignition could cause it to do that or not but one thing with in the last month ive been able to start my truck without the keys in it just by turning the little levers they have that u put the keys into I just dont know what to think

Rkawamoto
Page 1 of 2