HOW DO I FIND COMPRESSION STROKE

1992 Ford Ranger • 170 miles

I have a 1992 ford ranger distributorless ignition 8 plug 4 cylinder I have installed the head from a 95 head the old head was ruin I have tried timing marks for the 92cam and 95 cam neither has worked plenty of fire plenty of fuel will only spin have even tried swapping cam sprocket no luck witch marks should I use the inner timing cover cam alignment differs between both engines even when I swapped sprockets the timing marks differ by about 30 degre
Bironwillford

Since you are using the 95 head and cam, you should be using the timing for this engine.

If you are not able to get the correct timing, turn the # 1 piston to TDC and then use the valve overlapping method for cylinder # 4 to get the correct valve timing and compare with the marks.

No Problem

2 people---will not take long--Evil Female in you house will do!

Disconnect the COIL so it CANNOT START

Take out #1 Spark plug

WATCH OUT FOR THE FAN!

Stick your Finger/ Thumb in the Empty Hole TIGHTLY!

Evil Woman "BUMPS" the MotorOR TURN IT IN THE CORRECT DIRECTION WITH A WRENCH

(REGARDLESS, IT WILL BUILD COMPRESSION, BUMPING WITH THE KEY, SOMETIMES LETS THE ENGINE "ROLL OR KICK BACK" WHEN THE KEY IS RELEASED. SOMETIMES USING A WRENCH IS BETTER)

This is a 4 cycle engine--the crank rotates 2 times (piston up 2 times)for every one time it makes a Cycle

ONE IS EXHAUST STROKE (pushing toward the top)

The other is COMPRESSION STROKE--THIS IS THE ONE WE WANT!

This is the only UPWARD STROKE that both valves are closed and air/ fuel pressure builds up--when it reaches the top, this is TOP DEAD CENTER (TDC)

So here's the deal--when she bumps it and YOU GET A "SPIT OF AIR" by your thumb----STOP STOP STOP! (You may want to practice a time or two, we want the BEGINNING OF THE SPIT--NOT AFTER YOU PASS IT!)

You are headed up, on COMPRESSION!---Beginning of the spit

Now you must turn the engine BY HAND, in the SAME DIRECTION it normally turns---using a socket on the HARMONIC BALANCER NUT and a Ratchet/ pull bar/ pull handle

TURN IT SLOWLY until your TIMING MARKS LINE UP ON "ZERO"

THIS IS TDC!

THIS IS MY JEEP CJ 5 6 CYLINDER (258) ON 8 DEGREES BEFORE TDC (BTDC) AND THE NEXT PIC IS TDC (ZERO) YOURS IS DIFFERENT!

Remember this happens twice in a cycle (timing marks line up)--only once for the compression stroke. Compression will not build until both intake and exhaust valves are closed

With your modifications---if the cam(s) ain't timed to their correct open/ closed positions for "TDC"---this "Old Time Method" just ain't gonna work!

SORRY KHLow2008, I SUBMITTED THAT ANSWER A GOOD WHILE BACK---I ALWAYS LOOK 'EM OVER TO MAKE SURE I DID'NT MESS UP AND TO DO A FINAL PROOFREAD---IT DID NOT SHOW UP AFTER 30 MINUTES SO I QUIT. THE ONE I ANSWERED BEFORE THIS ONE DID THE SAME THING.I THOUGHT THE SITE WENT DOWN AGAIN

No problem. It is always good to have a second opinion. : )