CHANGED OIL PUMP - NOW THE CAR DOESN'T GO MORE THAN 20-30 MPH, WHY?

1992 Dodge Shadow • 137,000 miles

Ok. Long story so bear with me.

I got this vehicle, which used to be my dad's, and the oil light would flicker when the car was sitting at a light and the car was warm. So I mentioned to a friend who has worked on his own cars for years and he thought that the oil pump might be going out.

I bought a replacement oil pump from AutoZone and we took the old oil pump out and installed the new oil pump. When I was removing old oil pump I accidentally moved the gears and when I installed the new oil pump the gears were 180 degrees out of phase. So my friend took the pump out again and installed it correctly.

I stopped last night to pick up the car but the car started strangely. It stalled the first time I turned the key to start it. When I pulled out on the road the car did not want to accelerate more than 30mph and when I came to a stop sign the car wanted to stall out. So I decided to turn around and take the car back to my friend. When I put it in reverse and applied the brake to shift gears and the car stalled out. I tried restarting it three to five times and it wouldn't start. I waited a minute and restarted the car and drove by to my friends house. I had to press the gas pedal harder than I have ever had to do before to keep the car from restalling again. Going up a hill I was loosing speed, it went from 30 down to 15mph.

I am just wondering if the timing belt needs to be adjusted or was the oil pump not sychronized correctly with the timing belt and distributor? Anyone have any thoughts? PLEASE HELP!
Mcflathead

You probably got the valve timing off-recheck/verify it and then get back-