TESTING FUEL PRESSURE

1992 Dodge Ram • 3.9L V6 2WD Automatic •

Could you tell me how to test fuel pressure, what the fuel pressure is suppose to read, and where the fuel pump is on this vehicle? Thank you so much
Angel_girl

To test the fuel pressure you will need a fuel pressure tester and the test port will look like a tire valve that is on the fuel rail. The fuel pump in in the gas tank and is replaced as a unit so they are not real cheap. The fuel pressure should be 31 to 19 psi.

Racefan966
The pressure is reading 37 psi. Even if pressure is correct could the fuel filter be bad and cause the truck to run rough? The truck will run fine as long as you are driving it. When sitting still it splutters and dies. Where is the fuel filter? Also check engine light is on. We have a code reader but do not know where to hook meter up to this truck. This is my daughters truck and it is all they have to drive. Her husband needs to be able to get to work.

Thank you so much for your help.

Angel_girl
Lets first get the codes. You will turn the key on to the on position and off, I need you to do this 3 times with leaving the key in the on position the 3rd time. This will make the check engine light blink count the blinks. It will blink 1 then short pause then blink 2 and a longer pause this is 12, then it will blink out the codes then at the end it will blink a 55. 12 is indicating it is in diagnostic mode 55 means its done no more codes to get ok. The fuel filter is on the inside of the frame near the tank I believe on the drivers side napa number 3321 if you want to go online to see what it looks like.

Racefan966