NO REVERSE

1992 Chrysler Le Baron • 75,000 miles

I bought the car. Said could change fluid and filter may fix it. I dont think so. Am getting ready to pull trans. Out and have rebuilt. Is there anything I can look at before this? Nad some hints on getting this out the easiest way if it comes to that.
Gvande8023

Which engine and transmission do you have? If it's the four speed overdrive, there will be a circle around the "D" on the shift indicator. If you have the three speed, put it in manual low and see if it stays there when you drive forward. If it shifts to second gear, the low / reverse band is broken. That doesn't require a total rebuild but the transmission has to come apart.

To get them out, you'll really want the car on a hoist. It can be done on the ground but you'll need a floor jack, and ideally a helper.

It is the 4 speed o.D. 3 lt motor, I am pulling it out on the ground now. I have all the axles out. Struts out. Spindle left side out. Going to put a jack under the motor with block of wood, I have a trans jack I am going to use. Im going to do all the loosening under then do the jacks. Then take the rest of the bell housing bols out of the top side..I think I have it out. And someone I know is going to bring clutches and I will order a seal kit. How does this sound to you?

Gvande8023
You didn't have to remove the struts or spindles. Doing so means it will have to be aligned when you're done. All you have to do to get the half shafts out is separate the lower ball joints and pry the control arms down, then pull the bottoms of the struts outward. That leaves the alignment adjustments alone.

This is not a transmission you want to rebuild yourself. Cleanliness is extremely important and the final drive gear nut torque is critical to prevent gear noise. If the forward gears are working, the clutch packs and seals are okay. It's more likely there is an electrical problem, a problem with the Transmission Computer, or something with the solenoid pack. It should really be diagnosed before you jump in with the most complicated repair procedure.