CATALYTIC CONVERTER

1992 Cadillac Deville • 135,000 miles

In the 1992 Cadillac Deville. I had to buy a new cat because my old one rattles so bad and it is just time to be replaced. So I bought a magnaflow catalytic converter that is a direct fit. Why does this car not have an o2 sensor. Also the original catalytic converter is still on the car. It has never been changed. What is the difference between clamping the new catalytic converter and clamping it. Also the new cat didn't come with any gaskets. Do I need to buy the gaskets. I am not sure if this year has the gaskets. Also how many gaskets will I need. I will not be able to do anything this week. I have scarlet fever for the 9 time in my whole life. So maybe late next week I will be able to do this.
Sean03

When you get an aftermarket converter they shold be welded on so there are no air leaks in front of it. Yur car uses only 1 O2 sensor which should have not been removed. It wll be infront of the converter.

Here are the pictures of the new one. My system is an obd1 system and this catalytic converter is for 1995 and earlier. This is for a 1992 Cadillac Deville. This car is weird anyways. I had to buy 1993 hood struts because the 1992 struts were shorter than the original ones. The 1993 hood struts were the same size as my original ones. The car was wrecked awhile back. My grandma bent the frame on it. They had to staighten it out as much as they could. It is still bent on the right side. My grandma used this car to mud in when she got it.

Sean03
U need a converter from the dealer. U can try to order 1 from ac delco.

Cadieman
Lets say I cut the old one off and their is no sensor is that normal. I won't know until I cut it off if their is a sensor or not. I have looked and have not seen one. It might be on the top where I can't see it.

Sean03
The sensor is in the pipe prior to the converter not the converter itself. Jut have a muffler shop replace it if you aren't confident enough

I'm confident enough I just don't understand why the sensor would be in the pipe. I guess that is just Cadillac for you.

Sean03
They are all in the pipe, they have to read at the hottest point of exaust temp.

Ok I am use to seeing them where they screw into the catalytic converter. My dad has done a bunch of them so I am going to let him do it he knows more then me. I will also give him this info. You know more than me and him. After all you are the expert you know more then us. Thanks for all your help.

Sean03
For pre-OBD-II models O2 sensors are located on exhaust manifold or the exhause pipe just after the exhaust manifold and not on the catalytic converter. These vehicles would have only one O2 sensor for the engine system and if there are a second sensor, it would be wired separately with another indicator for the catalytic converter sensor.

Oh ok I know exactly where it is I have seen it down towards the manifold. I know exactly where you are talking about.

Sean03