HOW CAN I TELL IF MY THERMOSTAT NEEDS TO BE REPLACED? MY CAR OVERHEATED LAST WEEKEND, SEVERAL TIMES, THANKFULLY EACH TIME I PULLED OVER, LET IT COOL, AND PUT ANTIFREEZE DIRECTLY INTO THE RADIATOR, WHICH I BELIEVE SAVED MY ENGINE. FOUND OUT FROM MY BF'S CO

1992 Buick Century • 15,000 miles

How can I tell if my thermostat needs to be replaced? My car overheated last weekend, several times, thankfully each time I pulled over, let it cool, and put antifreeze directly into the radiator, which I believe saved my engine. Found out from my bf's cousin that my radiator had a crack in it, so we patched it up with jb weld, waited and test drove it, and all seems fine. Even the heat is hot, which it wasn't before. Also flushed the radiator and reservoir, and put a new cap on the radiator and reservoir. Should I still get my thermostat checked? Car drove about 45 miles and no overheating problems or anything, just still feels a tiny bit rough when I first get going. Put oil in it also, 2 quarts. And I can still just BARELY smell antifreeze every once in awhile when I am driving or done driving. Any ideas?
Kazule

Could be airlock in the cooling system -try bleeding it and see what happens

How Can I Tell If Thermostat Needs To Be Replaced? Go to this link:http://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-an-engine-cooling-system-thermostat

Only if your not getting any heat, would your thermostat need to be replaced, as it's in the always open position. My question would be, is the fan spinning, when the car has been driven for awhile and sitting at a stop light or parked in your driveway? If the fan isn't cycling on, the engine will overheat, and could possibly cause the crack to the radiator. Check the fan relay switch as well as the radiator thermal plug. Often on GM vehicles, a small 3 inch brass plug with 1-2 wires has broken off the lead, lost the thermistor inside, or isn't grounded properly anymore.

Bravestar1