UNUSUAL STARTER PROBLEM

1991 Toyota Previa • 275 miles

2 days ago van wouldnt start. I have a one month old battery, new terminals. Symptoms pointed to replacing starter. Got a re-man starter (#1)and put it in, started great 2 or 3 times. Then no crank. I was able to tap it with hammer and it would start every time I tapped it with hammer. Seemed like a bad starter. So I had parts store warranty it, and I installed #2 re-manufactured starter. It started a couple of times, so I went about my business, errands, it started great another 5 times or so. Then went to drive it last night and no crank again! This time tapping with hammer didn't work at all. Parts store again warrantied the starter, and We agreed to try a different brand re-man starter. I spent this afternoon out under the van in the rain and put the (#3) starter in. It Cranked! But only started twice, and now no crank again, and tapping doesn't help. It does make a loud click, 'chunk' sound when I turn key to start. Voltage good to starter, connections clean and tight. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions are welcomed!
JohnInVa

Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?Sounds like you could have a bad ground cable connection. Or even a postive cable connection.

Yes I have a multimeter

JohnInVa
Lets start with seeing what the voltage is at the smaller wire at the starter when trying to start it when it wont start?

Ok, I have 12 v. On the starter circuit, cables are all good. Sounds like the starter motor is trying to do something, loud clunk from starter when turning key

JohnInVa
Try jumping the small wire to the large post where the battery cable goes on the starter that will elimnate a circuit issue and isolate it to the starter.

Ok, jumping the small to large wire causes the fuel pump to run, oil light comes on, but no sound at all from the starter, also makes a relay click

JohnInVa
Ok, got it figured out, ran a jumper cable from pos. To starter and it works, peeled back insulation on pos cable, was very corroded under. Thanks for your help!

JohnInVa
Your welcome thats what were here for had a feeling you had a bad cable or connection somewhere glad you got it figured out.