TOYOTA PICKUP OIL PUMP PROBLEM

1991 Toyota Pickup • 85,000 miles

I just replaced my timing chain cover, sprockets, guides, and tensioner in my truck with a 22RE. When I started my engine up after the work was complete, there was a terrible noise coming from my engine, so I took my valve cover off and saw the the gear that drives the oil pump was beaten up and had horizontal lines that looked like the gears from the oil pump had spun on it, even though that's not possible. Any ideas?
Kobyessex

Crossed configuration helical gears can result in such problems when there is wear or exessive side play. Did you check the oil pump to see if it is seized?

Oil pump works good and I'm pretty sure that the helical gears were not crossed. I heard something about these motors having tolerance spacing between the lower timing sprocket and the oil pump drive gear. Any feedback?

Kobyessex
You were able to see the oil pump gear from the valve cover? I believe that is the distributor drive gear at camshaft.

Oil pump is at crankshaft and uses splines for the gear hubs.