MY REGENCY ELITE DOES NOTHING WHEN IGNITION IS TURNED TO THE START POSITION.

1991 Oldsmobile 98 • 106,000 miles

The pepboy mechanic did some kind of bypass and got the engine to start but only ran for about 3 seconds and then shut off. Any ideas what is causing this problem? The mechanic is stumped also.
Steve h

So does the car crank and not start or no crank no start?

NO crank and no start with brand new battery

Steve h
So do you have power to the small purple wire at the starter with the key in the start position?

I'm not sure. My car is still at Pepboys to be checked out further. Should I suggest that to the mechanic. He did a diagnostics test but I don't whether he checked on the purple wire or not. I do know that he crawled under the car and hot wired it. The car ran for about 3 seconds and quit that time also. Could it be the electronic brain causing the problem. I will be talking to him this morning. Thanks

Steve h
I sure hope he checked for power to the purple wire when the key is in the start position. Thats the first thing I need to know. If he hot wired the starter sounds like the purple wire isnt getting power. Let me know what they say it shouldnt be that hard to figure out.

The Pepboy mechanic said he checked for power to the purple wire when the key was in the start position and there was power. Sounds strange that the starter wouldn't activate but he said it didn't. He also said he couldn't get a code read out because the engine wouldn't stay running long enough. He is supposed to be an ASE certified mechanic but I'm beginning to have my doubts. I asked him if it could be the electronic brain causing the problem and his answer was possibly. Meanwhile my bill keeps going up. Any other suggestions?

Steve h
I just got a call from Pepboys and they said that I needed a new lock cylinder and a pass lock module. Total cost to do this replacement would be $1500. Does this sound right about the diagnosis and price? Thanks again.

Steve h
That sounds outter space high heres the thing that red flags me if the pass lock is faulty why do you have the trigger wire to the starter giving power with the starter inop?Ask for a break down of the repair diagnoses?Labor?Price of each part?I will look up your theft lock when I get home.

I just looked up the wire diagram for your starter you habeba pass key 2 decoder module that contols the ground side of your starter relay. If that pass key wasnt working there would be no ground to the starter relay. Also that would mean no power to the purple wire at the starter. So I would ask him if the pass key has failed why is there power to the purple trigger wire at the starter with the key in the start position?Also you may have a bad starter if the purple trigger wire is getting power and the positive battery cable to the starter is clean and tight and your ground cable is clean and tight. Then bad starter the more I hear the more scared iam for you with thisguy working on your car.

Thank you for your time on this issue. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I went on vacation for couple of weeks. Pepboys got my Olds to start for less money by just by-passing the anti theft in the ignition switch. Starts fine every time just no theft protection. ($400 vs $1500). The mechanic wasn't too happy with me asking him all those questions. Once again thank you for input. Steve H

Steve h