I NEED HELP...MY CAR....HAS ISSUES.

1991 Lincoln Town Car • V8 2WD Automatic • 220,000 miles

Hi. I recently bought a 1991 lincoln towncar. It worked great for about a week then the driver side window went down. And wouldnt come up. With some pressing of the button and some faith. It finally moseyed on up. I just left it alone until I had time to figure out the cause. You can hear the motor running inside of it. Its not a steady humm, its a on, off, on off rapid sound. Now. I rolled the other 3 windows down today, and the rear passenger stayed down and wouldnt come up. So.I took the door panel off. No problem getting it off, but now what am I supposed to do. Its doing the same thing as the other one. Its not a fuse because the lighter still works and the stuff on the same fuse as the power windows. Help!
Rileymro

For the front you will have to remove the inner door panel and see if the gear on the window regulator is striped or the motor gear drive is striped. With the back one does it make any noise when moving the switch up or down?

Yes. Both of them make the same on, off, on, off rapid sound. I saw on a different site that you could take the motor off the regulator and clean a gear in there somewhere. Is that plausible?

Rileymro
Iam not sure about that I just looked a some pics of some new front and rear regulators and there those cable operated from the motor to move the glass up and down so most likely ethier the cable etc has broken somewhere or the gear/gear box on the motor striped out. Your going to have to take a closer look at whats going on. The regulators are reasonable.I can help you find a great price on the parts you need. You just have to look and tell me whats broken.

It's probably the motor then. Or the regulator. The cables r fine. It still turns the cable a little, but it just doesn't have the strength to pull it up. If I replace the two. I'm gonna replace them all.

Rileymro
Or the cable spool is bound up where the motor goes on.http://www.rockauto.com has motors and regulators i have a 5 percent discount code for them also if you intrested.

Thanks: ) maybe. So is it the regulator or the motor? The cable isnt loose, like its broke. It still has tension, I'm not one to use a/c much so I usually ride with the Windows down, but the people I bought it from very rarely did so. So I don't know if that would be any help in figuring out which one. I ordered a shop manual for it, but won't get it for a few days.

Rileymro
Without seeing it in person and how it operates I really couldnt tell you which one it is I usually when there is cable operated regulators I replace the motor and regulator. Have you gone to rock auto to price them yet?I still have that 5 percent discount code I will share with you if you need it.

I looked them both up. Does the regulator get stripped out, or does the cable just have to break for that to go bad? Because the cable still turns (a little) and still has tension. If its possible for them to strip out then it could still be the regulator.

Rileymro
The motor spins the large pulley to move the cable to make the window go up or down. The cable can become fraid and bind up or where the cables hook the regulator can break there. Your probably going to end up needing a motor and regulator. Like I said before on that set up I replace both.

Hm. Wonderful. Lol. I thank you for the help, I'm just not thrilled about putting $400 dollars into it. Lol. But I guess I will have to. Or at least one at a time. I would be much grateful for the savings code u were talking about earlier: )

Rileymro